Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day.Fifty.Eight.

Well, with regards to my post yesterday I wanted to talk more about non-fiction in our classroom.

Every day I get a break while my 'relief' reads for story time. WHEW! I am so glad she does this for me. Anyway, I usually have her read a fiction book and a non-fiction book. I always tell the kids on my way out, make sure you learn a fact... and share it with me later. 

They have really started to enjoy non-fiction. I make it a 'big deal' to find a fact or information about our subject. Not only are they becoming more comfortable with reading, they are more comfortable with non-fiction texts. Not all of my non-fiction texts are on grade level. I have the students look at the pictures, draw conclusions, etc.

I am looking forward to dinosaur week. They LOVE dinosaurs!

-Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment